07/25/2017
Psalm 111:10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; a good understanding have all those who do his commandments. His praise endures forever.”

I have heard this verse probably a million times growing up. I always thought fearing the Lord meant being scared of the wrath of God and hell. Therefore, I’d be scared into doing all the right things. But what does it really mean to fear the Lord? I believe to fear the Lord is to be in awe or in admiration of God. To fear the Lord is to exchange our will, attitudes, actions, and life goals for God’s. We come to the knowledge of God by seeking Him daily. Psalm 2:6 says “For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” The Lord speaks to us through His Word and that is where we receive wisdom. I find it interesting how the following Psalm (112) continues to show us the fruit of those who fear the Lord. Our desires to prosper in life (not that they are 100% promised) can only come through our obedience to God through the wisdom He pours out on us.


Application: Today I will spend time alone in the field and pray to be in awe and wonder of God.
07/26/2017
James 1:5 “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”

Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you. We can boldly come before the Lord with our requests, knowing that it is His desire to bless us. I think it’s easy to get caught in asking the Lord for our own selfish gain but when we are seeking first His kingdom, our will aligns with His. In this verse we are told that if we are lacking in wisdom to go before the Lord who freely gives. Last week we learned about faith and I love how in the verse proceeding, we are prompted to ask in faith and without doubt. This wisdom here is regarding the wisdom necessary to overcome trials. The Lord allows trials to occur in our lives in order that we may grow a greater dependency on Him. Our dependency on God brings us to prayer and digging in the word. Through prayer and the Word, we are able to bring our desires into alignment with the will and plans of God. There are certain things that have recently been placed on my heart, but instead of acting on them, I’ve decided to go before the Lord and ask for wisdom and discernment. In His perfect timing, he will allow me to have wisdom and understanding for these decisions.

Application: Today I will write down the desires that the Lord has given me and submit them to the Lord. It is my prayer that the Lord would bring those desires to life in His perfect timing. 

 07/27/2017
2 Corinthians 1:12 “For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.”

When Paul says that he boasts he’s not speaking regarding a worldly arrogance, but a confidence in Christ that He has done all that the Lord had spoken of him. In 1 Corinthians 2:4 Paul tells us that all he had spoken and done were not done in human wisdom or in the flesh, but in the spirit and power of God.  This week I’ve been constantly checking myself. I’ve always been the type of person to do things by my own knowledge and strength. Had Paul chosen to walk in His flesh and not in the wisdom of God, His ministry would not have been effective or honoring to the Lord. In the same way, our ministry is on a road headed for destruction unless we seek the wisdom of the Lord in all things. 1 Corinthians 3:19 says “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God…” Although we might not necessarily be making bad choices according to the standards of the world, our choices apart from the wisdom of God can be folly. Before coming here, I was presented with two incredible opportunities: Patmos and IGNITE. One was good and one was God’s best. Had I followed my own heart and my own desires, I would have most likely made a poor choice that could’ve altered the trajectory of my life. Not that either were bad, but the Lord had me seek Him for His best. I believe in seeking the Lord, we gain a heart of wisdom.


Application: Today I will journal prayer all areas of my life that I’m lacking wisdom in and ask the Lord to help me.

07/28/2017

Ephesians 5:15-17 “ See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”

We are called to live lives that reflect the truth that is revealed to us through the Word. For us to live as fools is not stating that we lack intelligence, but that we are lacking in belief and continue in acts that are apart from the Lord and His will. As believers, we are to use our time on earth to fulfill God’s purposes and walk in His statutes. We redeem the time by walking in light and in truth. The first 19 years of my life were spent in darkness, completely lacking Christ. I followed my heart and desires instead of seeking the Lord and His will for my life. Now knowing whole-heartedly my identity in Christ, I purpose to allow the Lord to redeem the time that the locusts have eaten away (Joel 2:25). We are to be filled with the Spirit and allow all words, thoughts, and actions to be done as an act of worship to the glory of God. Just as Jesus came into the world to fulfill the will of the Father, it is my desire to walk in the spirit and in His will. Psalm 40:8 says “I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.”

Application: Today I will pray that the Lord would continue to pour His spirit out on me and that I would continue to walk in the will of God.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twenty-Three: 03/19-03/23

Week Sixteen 01/29-02/02