07/31/2017
Luke 8:11-15 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in temptation fall away. Now the ones that fell among the thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.”

Upon reading this passage, this verse immediately came to mind. “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:26 The seed is the word of God and the soil is our heart. I practically grew up in the church and was told the gospel message more times than I can recall. Most would think I’d be saved early on, but my heart was hardened. Sin, shame, and a lack of knowledge of the Father and a true need for Him resulted in seeds that were thrown on rock and thorns. I would listen, it would sound good for a moment, and then I would proceed to turn my back on God. It wasn’t until I hit rock bottom that I realized I needed a savior. The Lord stripped everything from me as I purposed to walk with Him. I couldn’t wrap my mind around why the Lord would take away certain friendships, my boyfriend, running, and so on. What I didn’t realize though, was that those things were weeds. They looked pretty and green on the outside, but in reality they destroy the good plant. These were the cares, riches, and pleasures of life that choked me. As I began to submit certain sins that caused my heart to harden, my heart began to soften. I began to break in the most beautiful way known to man: broken for the cause of Christ. That gunk became fertilizer that the Lord used and is still using to grow me for His glory. I love how in the last verse it says the ones that fell on good ground are those who keep it and bear fruit with patience. We press on for the joy set before us, knowing our reward is in Christ. We bear fruit when our lives are purposed in Him.

08/01/2017
Luke 21:19 “By your patience possess your souls.”

In context, this verse refers to the endurance needed in the persecution of the church in the end times. Persecution was never something I feared because it seemed like a distant reality. As we’ve begun to learn about perseverance the Lord has placed a heavy burden on my heart for the persecuted church. I have begun to pray for them like never before because I see the urgency. The persecution of the church in the last century has been the greatest ever. It assuring to know that our victory is in Christ and the cross has the final word. It is our responsibility to walk in obedience and faith as the Lord works out His will. We are promised in Matthew 24:13 that “He who endures to the end shall be saved.” If I were to face such hardships, my prayer would be to endure to the end. As Keith Wheeler would say, “They aren’t just people, they’re kidnapped royalty.” Those that are persecuting the church simply don’t know Christ. It is our job to pray for and love them despite anything they say or do to us. By endurance you obtain salvation.


08/03/2017
Revelation 1:9 “I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.”

As I read this passage, I couldn’t help but pick out certain actions displayed by John.
First, John experienced persecution for his faith. He was sent to the Island of Patmos for preaching the gospel in Ephesus and the surrounding cities. Persecution and trials are to be anticipated by believers. However, these things should not move us. The second thing I observed was John’s kingdom perspective. He knew that His time on earth was to be spent in expectation of the second coming of Christ. Third, as his heart was set on Christ, he was able to endure and persevere through persecution. This weekend I began reading a book titled “Tortured for Christ.” It’s about a Romanian pastor that suffered solitary confinement and physical torture in prison for 8 years due to his faith during communism in Romania. His ability to love the prison guards and those that were slowly killing him was a testimony to his true relationship with the Lord. Because of the love he had, many communists came to know Jesus. His mind through it all was that those persecuting him could potentially be just as Saul of Tarsus. It’s hard to tell whether or not persecution to that extent will ever be a reality to me. As I read further, I felt the Lord asking me “Are you willing to lay down your life for me?” It is my prayer that if it were to, I would stand strong and persevere.

Application: Monday I will run 12 laps and when I feel like I can’t finish, I will persevere.


08/04/2017
Hebrews 6:12 “That you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.”

This week I found myself easily distracted and tired in class, and I couldn’t understand why. I think of the verse where Paul talks about the struggle between flesh and spirit. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I found that I had to constantly redirect my thoughts every time they would stray. I think that when we fail to take our thoughts captive, we allow the enemy to take a foothold in our lives. We progressively get worse or apathetic towards the Lord. When this verse talks about being sluggish it refers to being dull. One of my greatest fears is growing dull or apathetic in my relationship with the Lord. I’m reminded of the time when we had a Q & A with several different pastors. One of the questions asked was “Do you ever have dry seasons?” Although I’m not currently in a dry season, it was encouraging to know that those in leadership also go through rough patches. They shone light on how they were able to overcome those times. I’m able to look up to these pastors because I know where they stand with the Lord and they are faithful servants.


Application: Whenever I’m feeling easily distracted or going through a dry season I will go to a roommate or friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twenty-Three: 03/19-03/23

Week Sixteen 01/29-02/02