08/07/2017
1 Timothy 6:6-8 “Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.”

I looked up the meaning of the word contentment and found that it means to be self-sufficient and unmoved by external circumstances. I thought it was interesting to see the word “self-sufficient” because as believers we are called to depend on Christ alone. Upon reading this verse I immediately thought of Matthew 6:33, which says, “But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you.” When our eyes are fixed on Jesus it becomes much easier to lay down our wants, cares, and desires and seek all that He has before us.            A couple of weeks before coming to IGNITE I had a yard sale to raise funds. Two days before the sale, my mom asked me if I was going to sell my bed. I thought she was crazy for even asking, but apparently she didn’t think I was coming home. I took this before the Lord and asked Him if I was supposed to sell all I had to come here. Later that day as I scrolled through Facebook, I came across a post from my church asking if anyone had 3 extra beds. A family of 3 children moved to Florida to stay with relatives because their mother was terminally ill with cancer. Turns out we had exactly 3 extra beds; one from my brother who left to the army, one from my sister that is doing the World Race, and mine. Sometimes the Lord calls us to do some interesting things, like sleep on a couch for a month, but He also calls us to trust Him and to be content with whatever He has us do. It was so much easier to give my things away because I know that everything I have is the Lord’s. We brought nothing into this world and we bring nothing out. However, I do receive joy knowing that the Lord knows exactly what we need, when we need it. Philippians 4:13 says, “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

Application: Today I will write down all that I’m thankful for. When I feel like complaining or feel ungrateful, I will pull out my list and be reminded of the goodness of the Lord.


08/08/2017
Luke 3:14 “Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?” So he said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.”

This is at the beginning of John’s ministry, which was preaching the baptism of repentance. A crowd came out to be baptized by him and he immediately rebuked them. John tells them that true saving faith produces fruit and those that fail to bear fruit will be cut down. We don’t inherit our faith from our forefathers; only God is able to give life and salvation. Different people groups approached John asking what they should do in response to His rebuke. For the tax collectors, it was told to not collect more than you’re supposed to. For the people, it was giving to him who has none what you have multiple of. For the soldiers, it was to refrain from intimidating others and accusing falsely, and to be content with wages. As I looked at these three characters, I found that at one point or another I fell into each category. How many times do we have much and yet find it so hard to give to those that have none? With taking more than you’re supposed to, I would always take all the candy left on people’s front steps when left out for trick or treaters on Halloween. So we focus on what was told to the soldier, specifically to be content with wages. I can easily recall various times in my life where I wanted more. Growing up we didn’t always have much, yet I could see that my friends always had awesome stuff. We never got Christmas or birthday presents, we never had cool toys. Things got better as I grew, but discontentment persisted. Having a job, I needed a raise. Having a car, I needed a better one. I have found that the Lord supplies exactly what we need for each season. Sometimes that means we don’t need anything except to trust Christ alone. 

Application: Today I will make a list of all that I’m thankful for. When I’m feeling discontent I will pull out my list and put myself in check.


08/09/2017
Hebrews 13:5 “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.””

I think it’s easy to look at a brother or sister and see certain gifts or callings on their life and want them for yourself. Comparison is the greatest thief of joy. The Lord has established a sovereign plan and purpose for our lives before the foundations of the earth. For me, to be discontent is to lack in security in Christ. It is my prayer that I would be happy for my fellow believers when the lord blesses them. I love that Jesus tells us He will never leave us nor forsake us. Its easy to forget that when we’re going through a hard time, but we can rest in peace knowing His presence will not depart from us. True contentment comes from our ability to trust Him with our lives, including the rough patches.

Application: Today I will journal every time the Lord blesses me today and share my journal with a roommate.


08/10/2017
Philippians 4:11 “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.”

As I looked at the context of this verse, I noticed verse 13. It’s a verse that is pretty common, yet most used out of context. It says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” It doesn’t mean that we’re going to receive some superhuman strength to overcome anything. This strength is the strength that sustains us in the hard times and in the times that we are lacking. It allows us to be content in any situation the Lord places us in. Now going back to our current verse, Paul says that he is content wherever he is. Whether he is full or hungry, suffering or abounding, he has learned that he is sufficient in the lord. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this week we are finding out our field locations and our verses are about contentment. My heart had been set on a certain location for a while, yet I know I don’t have a say in any of it. I think a huge factor in our ability to be content is our ability to put our trust in God. We are to be willing to lay down our lives because “to live is Christ, and to die is gain…” Our lives are not our own. God holds the reigns and desires a willing heart from us. The Lord is for us, not against us and works all things for His good and His glory.

Application: Today I will journal down all that the Lord spoke to me regarding going to Cambodia. Whenever I doubt why I’m there, I will go back to those promises.


08/11/2017
Psalm 17:15 “As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in your likeness.”

The previous verse (14) says that there are many who are satisfied by the materialistic things of this life. They take nothing with them when they die but can only leave them with their children. Things like money, prosperity, friends, etc. aren’t enough to satisfy you. They are temporal pleasures that quickly flee and leave you in greater need. True satisfaction can only be found in Jesus Christ. In Matthew 6, Jesus teaches the crowd about laying up treasures in Heaven and not on earth. Moth and rust will eat up the treasures on earth, but the treasures in Heaven will last forever. “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” When I gave my life to Jesus, there were a lot of earthly possessions I was called to lay down including relationships. Before coming here, I began to imagine what my life would have been like had not laid down those things. I’d probably be getting married, finishing my education, focusing on getting a good job, and looking to get new materialistic things. I was discouraged. To the world it seems as though I’m missing out by putting a hold on my life for a year to grow in my walk with Jesus. None of the things I mentioned are bad, however, they hold no eternal weight. Once I began to spend more time in the presence of the Lord, my heart and attitude towards those things quickly changed. I became focused once again on the Lord and storing up my treasures in Heaven. My one desire is to be in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.

Application: Today I will write down all the blessings I have received by laying down what the Lord asked me to. I will then pray and ask that the Lord would keep me content in my walk with Him.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twenty-Three: 03/19-03/23

Week Sixteen 01/29-02/02