08/14/2017
Hebrews 5:8 “though He was a son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.”

Christ didn’t need to come down and correct any disobedience or sin that He had committed. He was perfect, blameless. He became flesh to learn obedience just as He learned to withstand temptation. He did it to prove His humanity and to experience the sufferings of humanity to the fullest. A verse that has been pivotal in this last season of my life has been Hebrews 4:15-16. These verses talk about how Jesus is our great sympathizer because He was at all points tempted as we are. We can boldly come before the throne room of grace to receive help in our time of need because we know the Lord understands.  Christ was obedient even to the point of death because He knew the Father’s heart. For me, obedience has been rather difficult when I look at what I’m called to do from an earthly perspective. Sometimes we think that the Lord calls us to do something because He wants to make life challenging. In reality, God is our good father. He calls us to step out in faith and in obedience because He has a perfect and sovereign plan. When we are unsure of why the Lord is calling us to do something, we can rest in the truth that He was in all points just as we are. He had to submit to the Father through the spirit. We too must be obedient to the Father and that’s only possible through His spirit.

Application: Today I will journal any events I can recall where the Lord called me to be obedient and the fruit of that obedience.


 08/15/2016
Acts 5:29 “But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men.””

In this verse the apostles are on trial for proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They had been put in prison but an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and freed them to preach the gospel in the temples. The council strictly told the apostles not to do so and their response was that they obey God, not man. We are called to submit to the authority that is set over us, but if it is contrary to the word of God then we must obey God. Like most, I tend to lean more towards pleasing and seeking approval from people over God. Earlier this year I was presented with two incredible opportunities; Patmos Reality Discipleship program and IGNITE. As I began to seek the Lord for direction, He put it on my heart to find the answer in Him alone. Up until that point I had been asking my friends and family for what they thought was best for me, instead of asking God. I realized that everyone had their idea of what they thought was best for me, but they had no clue what was God’s best for me. God made it so clear in two weeks where He wanted me to go and revealed it through His Word. From that point on, I made it an effort to take all things before the Lord before man.

Application: Whenever I have to make a decision or need to talk someone, I will purpose to talk to the Lord beforehand.


 08/16/2017
Romans 6:16 “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?”

Before Christ we were under the law, but now we are under grace. In verse 15 Paul asks the question “Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace?” Paul is reminding us that we are no longer slaves to our past sin but slaves to righteousness. Sin no longer has dominion over us and we are not identified with our past sins. We are redeemed by Jesus and now submit to Him alone. Psalm 51 says, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, renew a steadfast spirit within me.” When I first came to know the Lord, I was fully aware of the sinful state of my heart and how easy it was to fall back into sin because of certain strongholds. My prayer was and is that the Lord would create in me a clean heart and take away any of my old sinful desires. I think it’s easier to be obedient and take captive big sins, but sometimes we let small sins creep back in because we aren’t obedient in submitting them to the Lord. I thank God every day for the life He delivered me from and for the new life He has given me. My prayer is that I would never seek the ways of my past, but continue to be changed by the Lord as He brings me from glory to glory.

Application: Today I will write victories over strongholds that the Lord has walked me through.


 08/17/2017
Ephesians 6:1 “Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.”
Colossians 3:20 “Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.”

As a kid, I remember hearing this verse at Sunday school and immediately getting on the defense. It’s easy to obey your parents when you know they love God, but what about those that have parents that don’t love God? My obedience to my parents growing up was strictly out of fear. Once I got to middle school, I began to rebel. My mom would ask me to do a chore around the house or ask me not to go out for the weekend, but I wouldn’t listen and I would do my own thing. Looking back now, I see how foolish I was. No matter if my parents believe it or not, they too submit to authority and that authority is Jesus Christ. Had I loved the Lord from a young age, I don’t think I would’ve had issues obeying. We know that first we obey the Lord and then our parents. Although I’m 21 now, I still go to my mom for her approval and obey her when she asks something of me. Before coming to IGNITE I asked for her approval and she disagreed for a short period of time. However, the Lord was able to work on her heart in that time. She was able to put her trust in the Lord with my life and know that first and foremost I am to be obedient to the calling that the Lord has placed on my life. The Lord is the one that places the authority over us and calls us to submit to it.


Application: On my wifi time I will call my mom and apologize for all the times I was rebellious and didn’t obey her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twenty-Three: 03/19-03/23

Week Sixteen 01/29-02/02